RE: FTP problems on ports other than 21

> I have several customer FTP sites hosted on ports other than
> 21 (ex: 2001, 2002, 2003 and so on)
>

> Right now, the only way they can work properly is if I open
> ports 1024 to 8000 for that machines so the ftp return ports
> are able to connect.

You would need virtual hosting I suppose, this is not a netfilter thing.

Reading this, you can not use name-based virtual hosting with ftp :
http://www.castaglia.org/proftpd/doc/contrib/ProFTPD-mini-HOWTO-Vhost.ht
ml

It says this :

-------------
The definition of the File Transfer Protocol, unfortunately, does not
(currently) support name-based virtual hosts, as HTTP1.1 supports.
The bottom line is that ProFTPD does not support name-based virtual
hosts; not because they are not implemented, but simply because the
protocol itself does not support them.

So, the only way to virtual host would be if you have multiple public
IP's on which you run a ftp-site.

Gr,
Rob