Re: Questions about the workings of iptables

On Monday 26 July 2004 1:51 pm, Small, Jim wrote:

> 1)  How extensive is IPTables stateful packet filtering?  Are the sequence
> numbers carefully scrutinized as part of the state check?

No.   AFAIK the connection tracking in netfilter checks only src+dst IP+port,
nothing else.

> Is there a listing of everything the connection tracking modules do?

Netfilter source code is probably your best bet here.

> If connection tracking or stateful inspection does not include TCP sequence
> checking, is there a way to add it?

I do not know of a patch to provide this.   It would be in patch-o-matic if
there is one.

> 2)  Can IPTables randomize initial TCP sequence numbers?

No.   Netfilter doesn't change the packets on their way past, except for:
 - NAT, which will change as little as necessary to achieve the required
ersult (ie source port numbers don't get changed if it can be helped)
 - mangle rules which specifically change things in the headers

> If not, is there an add-on that can?

How about a Linux or BSD-based proxy server :) ?

You really want something which is going to generate its own sequence numbers
to do this properly (and a proxy server would help with your first question
above as well).

I know that's not really the answer you wanted, but I'm not aware of any way
to do these with netfilter itself.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Success is a lousy teacher.  It seduces smart people into thinking they can't
lose.

 - William H Gates III

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.