Again multiple ISP routing/firewall

thanks antony for ur reply. i will try ur suggestion today, but i forgot to mention certain information. first of all is that two of the connections are DSl connections having dynamic IP addresses from the ISP end on the serial port of the routers. we are using static addresses of the routers for access from LAN. i think that may affect the configuration of the paths. my thinking is that may be this is the reason why i can reach upto the DSL routers but getting to some erratic 192.168.100.1 addrress after that. i am not sure please suggest.

Alok Nath Upadhyay
Suntech (OSM) Team
PC Solutions (P) Limited
12, Sant Nagar, East of Kailash
New Delhi - 110 065.
Tel.: +91-11-2621 3355 / 2621 7766 / 2688 4433 (Ext.: 51)
Fax : +91-11-647 6822

--- Antony Stone <Antony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Friday 23 July 2004 11:20 am, Alok Nath Upadhyay wrote:

> hi all,
> i am in a not so common situation and i have tried to figure out the
> solution without luck. i have 3 leased lines from three different vendors.
> i want to distribute outbound traffic from my lan on these three differnet
> links.

Sounds like a fairly simple configuration requirement for iproute2.

> i have some degree of success i.e. i can route the traffic but
> internet access speed is very slow. i guess that this is due to differnet
> DNS servers of these vendors.

I do not understand your reasoning here - what are you saying about the ISPs'
DNS servers, and how would they cause your Internet access to be slow?

> moreover if i have the unristricted access to
> internet, i am fine. but not with the restrictions on services and ports.
> after this all internet access is denied. This is my firewalling script for
> ur debugging and any remedial measures.

The main observation I would make is that you are using the random match to
determine what MARK to put on the packets - what happens in the cases where
none of the random matches match?

eg: if you have three rules in sequence, each of which matches 33% of the
packets going through it, the first rule will match 33% of the packets, the
second rule will match 33% of the remaining 67% (ie: 22% of the original
packets), and the final rule will match 33% of the 45% (100-33-22) which get
that far (ie: 15% of the original packets).   This still leaves 30% of the
original packets unmatched by any rule.

I know you have not set all the rules to 33%, but I think you have not taken
account of the packets which will not match any of the probabilistic rules?

My approach (if I wanted equal numbers of packets to match all three rules)
would be to set the first rule to match 33%, the second rule 50% (ie: half
the ones which didn't match the first rule), and then the third rule to match
100% (ie: all the packets which didn't match the first or second rules).
Obviously you can adjust the 33% and 50% in this example if you want the
three rules to match unequal quantities of packets.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Antony.

--
If you can't find an Open Source solution for it, then it isn't a real
problem.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.