Re: multiple ISP routing/firewall

On Friday 23 July 2004 11:20 am, Alok Nath Upadhyay wrote:

> hi all,
> i am in a not so common situation and i have tried to figure out the
> solution without luck. i have 3 leased lines from three different vendors.
> i want to distribute outbound traffic from my lan on these three differnet
> links.

Sounds like a fairly simple configuration requirement for iproute2.

> i have some degree of success i.e. i can route the traffic but
> internet access speed is very slow. i guess that this is due to differnet
> DNS servers of these vendors.

I do not understand your reasoning here - what are you saying about the ISPs'
DNS servers, and how would they cause your Internet access to be slow?

> moreover if i have the unristricted access to
> internet, i am fine. but not with the restrictions on services and ports.
> after this all internet access is denied. This is my firewalling script for
> ur debugging and any remedial measures.

The main observation I would make is that you are using the random match to
determine what MARK to put on the packets - what happens in the cases where
none of the random matches match?

eg: if you have three rules in sequence, each of which matches 33% of the
packets going through it, the first rule will match 33% of the packets, the
second rule will match 33% of the remaining 67% (ie: 22% of the original
packets), and the final rule will match 33% of the 45% (100-33-22) which get
that far (ie: 15% of the original packets).   This still leaves 30% of the
original packets unmatched by any rule.

I know you have not set all the rules to 33%, but I think you have not taken
account of the packets which will not match any of the probabilistic rules?

My approach (if I wanted equal numbers of packets to match all three rules)
would be to set the first rule to match 33%, the second rule 50% (ie: half
the ones which didn't match the first rule), and then the third rule to match
100% (ie: all the packets which didn't match the first or second rules).
Obviously you can adjust the 33% and 50% in this example if you want the
three rules to match unequal quantities of packets.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Antony.

--
If you can't find an Open Source solution for it, then it isn't a real
problem.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.