Re: the impossible "iptables -C" option

On Saturday 24 July 2004 12:24 am, Bruno Negrão wrote:

> Hi guys, I didn't understand the following question and answer on
> netfilter's faq:
>
> "3.18 Why isn't the 'iptables -C' (--check) option implemented?
>
> Well, first of all, we're lazy ;). To be honest, implementing a check
> option is almost impossible as soon as you start to do stateful
> firewalling. Traditional stateless firewalling bases it's decision just on
> information present in the packets header. But with connection tracking
> (and '-m state' based rules), the outcome of the filtering decision depends
> on header+payload, as well as header+payload of previous packets within
> this connection."
>
> First of all, what does they mean about "--check"? What would they check?

I understand it to mean "check what would happen to a packet of this type if
it went through the ruleset"

ie: iptables -C INPUT -p tcp --dport 22

Would tell you whether your firewall would accept (to itself) an SSH packet or
not.

> What is "packet payload"? How does it make the "--check" option impossible
> to be implemented?

Payload is the data inside the packet (the useful bit beyond the IP / TCP /
UDP etc headers).

It makes it impossible to implement --check because there's no way to provide
the payload on the command line.

Regards,

Antony.

--
If you want to be happy for an hour, get drunk.
If you want to be happy for a year, get married.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.