Re: ruleset

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 5:02 pm, Brent Clark wrote:

> Hi all and Antony
>
> Thanks for replying.
> In terms of "I know know nothing about security",

Sorry - I didn't mean it to sound like that - I was trying to say that your
ruleset suggested you were running services on the firewall; running services
on the firewall is not good security practice; therefore I simply wondered
whether you knew about this maxim.

> unfortunately I have a
> budget and expenditure to worry about, therefore, I cant really afford to
> spend to much on machine etc. Therefore I am forced to run a few services
> on the FW.

No problem - just so long as you're aware of the risks :)

Regards,

Antony.

--
Never automate fully anything that does not have a manual override capability.
Never design anything that cannot work under degraded conditions in emergency.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.