Re: DNAT & ARP

Hi John,
OK, That's exactly what I'm trying to do and the idea is interesting.
However, there are 2 problems that I currently see in this solution:
a. I need to know exactly which hosts of the 1.1.1.0/24 are fake and to explicitly
define them on eth0. I cannot add the whole range because I may get into conflict
with real 1.1.1.0/24 hosts that are located on my eth0 interface.
b. because there are many secondaries on eth0 that belong to the same subnet,
I can not guarantee that my host will always use the right one (1.1.1.5) to talk to the outer world.
Am I right?
Yaron

John A. Sullivan III wrote:

Yes, I think there is some misunderstanding there.  My apologies. Let me
be a little more specific.

Let's assume that you have a gateway with a public address of 1.1.1.5 on
the network 1.1.1.0/24 and bound to interface eth0 and that it protects
the private network 10.1.1.0/24 with a second interface, eth1, to which
is bound the private address 10.1.1.1.  Now let's also say that I have
internal hosts at 10.1.1.8, 10.1.1.3, 10.1.1.6 and 10.1.1.13.  I wish to
NAT these to the world at the addresses 1.1.1.8,1.1.1.3, 1.1.1.6 and
1.1.1.13 respectively.  Is that what you are trying to do?

To do so, I would create a script on the NAT gateway to run the
commands:

ip address add 1.1.1.8/24 brd + dev eth0
ip address add 1.1.1.3/24 brd + dev eth0
ip address add 1.1.1.6/24 brd + dev eth0
ip address add 1.1.1.13/24 brd + dev eth0

eth0 will now respond to ARP requests for all those addresses as well as
1.1.1.5.  The subsequent packets will be dutifully passed to netfilter
which will NAT them to 10.1.1.8, 10.1.1.3, 10.1.1.6 and 10.1.1.13 and
route them on their way (assuming forwarding is enabled).

I hope I have not misunderstood what you are trying to do - John