Re: FAQ 3.13, but on the same box

On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 06:44:22PM +0100, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Sunday 18 July 2004 6:32 pm, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> > I understand how to set up a transparent proxy.  However, it is
> > possible to run a transparent proxy and web browser on the same box?
>
> Yes.
>
> > What if I put the proxy on a loopback interface and REDIRECT port 80
> > to port 3128 the loopback?  Would that work?
>
> Sounds good to me.
>
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html#ss17.4

This FAQ doesn't address my question.  I also looked at "Transparent
Proxy with Linux and Squid mini-HOWTO" by Daniel Kiracofe.

So far, all docs assume that the squid-box and the browser box are
different machines.

Hrm, I think I need to add an OUTPUT rule that matches on the owner.
If --uid-owner=proxy then the packet should not REDIRECT back to port
3128.  Something like that?

--
A new cognitive theory of emotion, http://openheartlogic.org