Re: Strange ip_conntrack values

On Sunday 18 July 2004 12:28 pm, John wrote:

> > If not, I suggest a network sniffer (eg: ethereal) or some netfilter
> > LOGging rules to see if you can identify what all this traffic is.
>
> how can I do that ? could u help me achieving this ? I've installed
> tcpdump and logged all connections between 4AM and 6AM but it's not
> easy to find something ...

Tcpdump is a good packet sniffer but it does not show the data in a
user-friendly format.

I suggest you install ethereal on a machine (does not have to be the firewall)
and load the tcpdump output file into that.   It will help show you the
connections in a meaningful format, and you can look for FIN-ACK packets
which are not replied, multiple FIN-ACKs, etc.

Also, do you have a snapshot of /proc/net/ip_conntrack from any time during
4am-6am?   If not, I suggest you take another tcpdump log (rather than 2
hours, I suggest something much shorter, say 10 minutes, because the timer
you are interested in expires after 2 minutes, so you should get enough
examples of whatever's happening within a 10 minute window), and take a
snapshot of /proc/net/ip_conntrack at the start and end of the tcpdump log
(perhaps a couple of times in the middle as well).

That should give you a traffic stream (of a manageable size) to look at in
ethereal and compare to the contents of the conntrack table to work out where
the TIME_WAIT entries are coming from.

By the way, you're not blocking any packets which are important to closing
connections, are you?   Such as FIN-ACK or RST?   Maybe checking the packet
counters from "iptables -L -nvx; iptables -L -t nat -nvx" might show
something interesting?

Regards,

Antony.

--
You can spend the whole of your life trying to be popular,
but at the end of the day the size of the crowd at your funeral

 - Frank Skinner

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.