From: tanuki <phake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:56:19 +0200
Subject: Wierd problem with irqs
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all

had an interresting problem the other day, just
thought i'd share it with you all and see if

any body else had a similar experience.

I set up a small nat/firewall box for a client of
ours. we had 5 interfaces and they were as follows

eth0   192.168.10.1 netmask
255.255.255.255 pointopoint 192.168.10.2   <--- adsl modem
 doing nat

eth1   192.168.0.1 netmask
255.255.255.0

eth2   192.168.1.1 netmask
255.255.255.0

eth3   192.168.2.1 netmask
255.255.255.0

eth4    192.168.3.1 netmask
255.255.255.255 pointopoint 192.168.3.2 <-- some upstairs router

and the routing table looked like you would expect
it to, with

route add default gw 192.168.10.1 dev eth0

also we had

for simplicity , iptables rules were as follows

iptables -t nat --append POSTROUTING -o eth0 --jump
MASQUERADE

so, now all traffic using 192.168.0.1 , 1.1, 2.1
and 3.1 as a gateway should be able to reach the

internet via the modem on 192.168.10.2 , right ?

well, all icmp worked, perfectly

but everything else , ie , udp, tcp didn't

say for example http : packets get sent to tcp 80,
tcp replies get recieved, but no data gets back to

the user on 192.168.whatever

strange huh ?

so i thought my mtu was befuqed, so i do

iptables --append FORWARD --proto tcp --tcp-flags
SYN,RST SYN --jump TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

no luck though.

tried a plethora of other stuff too , but didn't
work, so i'll leave that there

obviously the nat works, becuase all my icmp's are
natted.

mmm

so i go into the boxes bios set up and tell it to
assign irq's to all pci devices automatically

boot up into linux and do

ifconfig eth4 up

eth4: error fetching interface information: Device
not found

eh ? wtf ? so i do
ifconfig eth0 up

and the device gets brought up

then i do ifconfig eth4 up

and it brings it up . Strange huh ?

so now i see that all my cards are swopped arround.
that which used to be eth0 is now eth4 and so

on and so on.

anyway, plug in the appropiate network cables to
the relevant nics and run the script

to a ping to google.com ... everything works fine.

right, so far so good. right back were i
started

now, do a HTTP-GET http://www.google.com and guess what

i get a lovely html page.

strange that changing the device irg assignment in
the bios solved my problem ?

any ideas what could have caused this ?

thanks a lot for bearing with my idiotic ramblings
so far

tanuki