Re: SSH Connections Lost After 1 minute idle

On Tuesday 13 July 2004 5:51 pm, Real Cucumber wrote:

> I have a fedora firewall/router using iptables to
> forward incoming SSH packets to an internal server and
> it works great....however, only if the user does not
> remain idle for 1 minute.  If they idle for 1 minute,
> the connection "freezes"
>
> If the user is connecting from within the network,
> they can remain idle for an unlimited amount of time
> without being disconnected.  It is only ones
> connecting from outside hte network going through the
> iptables firewall that have this idle problem.
>
> I am only allowing TCP and UDP for SSH to be
> forwarded.

I assume you mean TCP for SSH and TCP/UDP for DNS?   (You don't need UDP for
SSH...)

> Do I need any ICMP or any other special connection
> timeout rules on the iptables side to fix this problem?

You should not completely block ICMP, although I regard that as a side issue
and not necessarily the cause of your problem.

It sounds like an ARP cache timeout problem to me.

Try the following test:

1. Connect from an external client to the internal SSH server.
2. Log in on the console of the SSH server (ie: not using the SSH connection)
and start a ping to the firewall (I don't care whether it gets replies or
not).
3. Type some command on the SSH client and check you get a response.
4. Wait >1 minute and then type another command on the SSH client and check
you still get a response.
5. Cancel the ping test from the SSH server to the firewall.
6. Wait >1 minute and then type another command on the SSH client and see if
the connection has died.

If the above confirms that during a ping, the connection is maintained, and in
the absence of a ping, the connection dies, then it strongly suggests that
the firewall is losing the MAC address of the SSH server after a period of no
activity (or perhaps the SSH server loses the MAC address of the Firewall -
check both arp caches with "arp -an" on each machine to find out).

It might help to post your ruleset so we can comment on anything we see that
might cause this problem.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Microsoft may sell more software than any other company, but McDonald's sell
more burgers than any other company, and I think the other similarities are

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.