Re: dnat with mac instead of ip address?

On Tuesday 13 July 2004 12:46 pm, a.ledvinka@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> net with dhcp + dynamic dns updates of local zone + router with masquerade
> and single external address.
>
> i am looking for regular DNAT behaviour to rewrite destination ip address
> of incoming packet but with single exception to current implementation:
> destination in rule is not explicitly ip address but hw address and i
> expect router to fetch ip address for this hw address from neighbour
> cache, etc. every time such packet comes.

Hm - that sounds the wrong way round to me - "I expect router to fetch ip
address for this hw address from neighbour cache" - normally the router knows
the IP address, and discovers the hardware address from the arp cache.

Where is the netfilter machine in all this setup (the one on which you're
trying to change destination mac addresses)?

Suppose the netfilter machine can successfully change the destination mac
address, but doesn't change the destination IP address - what's going to
happen to the packet when it arrives at the destination mac?   Is that
machien going to route it on to somewhere else?   If that is the case (you're
forwarding the packet on to some other router, rather than a final
destination machine), which not change the routing of the packet (the ROUTE
target will let you specify an alternative gateway address to over-ride the
default routing table)?

Regards,

Antony.

--