Re: user defined chains

On Monday 12 July 2004 8:51 pm, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> Payal Rathod wrote:
> > Hi,
> > If I want to design a firewall for a network on a high end machine
> > with lot of RAM and swap, is there any real use of user defined
> > chains? I find them difficult so I would like to use only the built-in
> > chains. Is that ok?
>
> It may be OK but you will severely limit what you can do.  If your
> security environment is simple, that will be fine.  If it is not, user
> defined chains are a real blessing.
>
> Unless your environment is very simple, it is probably well worth
> your time to become very familiar with user defined chains.

Despite my somewhat simplistic previous answer, I agree with this also.

I guess earlier I should have said "yes, so long as you can do what you need
to".

Regards,

Antony.

--
"I estimate there's a world market for about five computers."

 - Thomas J Watson, Chairman of IBM

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.