Re: Can't compile 1.2.11 because of dstlimit?

Hi Bob,

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Bob McLaren wrote:

> I noticed that the ipt_dstlimit.h in my iptables source tree did not
> match the ipt_dstlimit.h in my kernel source tree.
> The one in my kernel source tree does not define a "cfg" struct.  Which
> would explain the error I'm getting, but I still don't understand what I
> need to do to resolve this.
>
> Why would both source trees have ipt_dstlimit.h files?

No official kernel sources contain the ipt_dstlimit.h file.

The header file was added to the iptables source as forward-compatibility
until the dstlimit feature is submitted to the kernel.

> Why would my 2.4.20 kernel source tree have an outdated ipt_dstlimit.h file?

That's due to the RedHat policy on how to add and maintain features, which
hasn't yet been submitted into the official kernel.

> Can I just move my RedHat 7.3 box from 2.4.20 -> 2.6.7 without worry of
> bugs/issues?  I don't know how stable that new kernel is.

If you worry about the 2.6 kernel tree, you are free to use 2.4 - except
that use a standard kernel source release from kernel.org instead of a
vendor-specific one.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-