Re: CONNMARK restore-mark creates conntrack entry?

I'm answering my own post for the archives.

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 15:55, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> It seems that, in linux-2.6.5 w/ CONNMARK from patch-o-matic 20040302,
> the CONNMARK --restore-mark modifier causes a conntrack entry to be
> created if it doesn't already exist.
>
> I'm using CONNMARK to remember customer-initiated connections and route
> them differently from "wild world"-initiated connections.  I don't want
> to mark "wild world"-initiated connections, because a SYN flood then
> becomes a trivial way to DOS the conntrack table, and thus the firewall.
>
> Any idea how to stop this happening?

You can prevent certain packets from creating a conntrack table entry
with the "raw" patch, which adds a raw table, a NOTRACK target and an
UNTRACKED state match.

Available in pom-ng, as of at least 20040631.

Ciao,
Sheldon.