Re: Firewall structure and more (Newbie)

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 06:28:49PM +0100, Antony Stone wrote:

> On Thursday 08 July 2004 6:10 pm, Erik Wikström wrote:
>
> I would turn the question around to you: why do you think it is better to have
> the rules arranged into different chains as you have suggested?   Do you
> think that is easier to understand?   (If you *do* find it easier to
> understand, then go ahead and do it, don't do what *I* find easy to work
> with.)

My thought was that by sorting the packets by type at first and then
make a more througout filtering I would avoid the overhead of having,
for example, a UDP packet go through a lot of rules concerning TCP-
packets. But, as you say it leads to a quite complicated structure, but
since the firewall is quite old (75MHz) and a lot of P2P traffic is
passing through I thought that it might have some value.

--
Erik Wikström