Re: Is Linux based Gateway/Firewall feasible

On Thursday 08 July 2004 1:10 pm, Sudheer Divakaran wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've a local LAN consisting of about 150 machines.  I'm using a machine
> with Linux + IPTables  as the gateway machine which inturn connects to
> two different ISPs.  My question is can a Linux based machine match the
> performance of a hardware based routers provided by Cisco,... OR is my
> decision to go for a Linux based solution is a wrong one?

Are we talking about routing performance, or firewall capabilities here?

Cisco is well known as a high-cost supplier of router hardware, which (at the
highest costs) is very high performance.

Netfilter is a high-reliability, high-security and flexible firewall solution
(with zero cost for the software, but non-zero cost for the hardware and the
configuration expertise).

150 machines is not many - however the important question is how much traffic
they generate through the firewall.

> Is there so much difference between these two solutions?

There are many differences - cost, performance, flexibility, support, bug
fixes, warranty, brand-name....

You have to decide which of these you want, and which you don't, before the
choice becomes clear.

I would say, if you want a firewall with low cost, good performance, high
flexibility, widespread technical support, rapid bug fixes, no warranty, and
the "netfilter / Linux" brand name, then choose netfilter.

If you want a high cost router, especially for very high performance (or
medium cost for surprisingly low performance), less flexibility, single-point
support, slower bug-fixes, hardware warranty, and the "Cisco" brand name,
then choose Cisco.

> Can I achieve the same performance using a high end PC and Linux?

Same as what?

> I'm asking this because one guy told me that my decision to go for a
> Linux based solution is a wrong one and it can never match the
> performance of hardware based Routers.

Well, what do you want to do with it?   Do you have an Internet connection
faster than 100 Mbps?   If not, then Linux / netfilter will easily do what
you want.   If yes, then you will need to pay a fair amount of money for the
hardware to run Linux / netfilter on, but you can still do it (and I'll bet
the cost of the hardware is still less than the equivalent system from
Cisco).

So, you can point at a $50k Cisco fireweall / router and say "your P4 Linux
box with 512Mbytes RAM can't do what that can do", and you'd be right.

However, you can point at a $1k or $2k P4 Linux box with 512Mbytes RAM and say
"this can outperform your Cisco PIX 501".

The important question is always "what do you want to do with it?", and the
next question is "what features are important to you (technical and
non-technical)?"

Also, if you're interested in security, check the warranties / guarantees /
promises made about the security of any products from a commercial vendor -
you might be surprised at how little they differ from netfilter (which
doesn't have a warranty or guarantee).

Hope this helps,

Antony.

--
Bill Gates has personally assured the Spanish Academy that he will never allow
the upside-down question mark to disappear from Microsoft word-processing

 - Lynne Truss, "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.