Re: 3 iptables accounting questions

On Tuesday 06 July 2004 9:17 am, Etienne Ledoux wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> 1) I have a firewall and would like to count all the traffic
> entering/leaving the external interface (I want to count only internet
> traffic, which is the traffic entering/leaving the external if). Is this
> rule right ?
>
> iptables -N ACCT
> iptables -I FORWARD -j ACCT
> iptables -I INPUT -j ACCT
> iptables -I OUTPUT -j ACCT
> iptables -A ACCT -s 10.168.0.2/32 -d 0.0.0.0/0 -o eth0
> iptables -A ACCT -s 0.0.0.0/0 -d 10.168.0.2/32 -i eth0
>
> 10.168.0.2 is my external interface ip and is also the ip which my internal
> network is natted behind.

You want to count traffic addressed *to this machine* from the Internet, and
traffic addressed *from this machine* to the Internet, yes?   In that case
these rules will work, but there is no point in jumping to the ACCT chain
from the FORWARD chain.

Remember that FORWARD is *only* for traffic going through the machine, and
INPUT and OUTPUT are *only* for traffic to/from the machine (ie: *never* for
traffic going through it).

If you want to count traffic addressed *to any machine on your internal
network* from the Internet, and traffic addressed *from any machine on your
network* to the Internet, then you should use your subnet address in the -s
and -d options, not the address of your firewall.

At a guess this subnet is going to be 10.168.0.0/24, but I don't know what
netmask you're using.

> 2) I would like to save/restore only this accounting rule. I thought
> 'iptables-save -c -t ACCT' would work but it doesn't.

No, ACCT is not a table (like filter, nat and mangle are) - it is a chain
(like FORWARD, INPUT and OUTPUT are).   Don't use -t

> 3) How do I flush the accounting stats.

iptables -Z ACCT, or iptables -L -Z ACCT -nvx if you want to see the counters
immediately before zeroing them.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Ramdisk is not an installation procedure.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.