Ipsec/l2tp

>> Haven't worked much with IPSec (at least not over firewall).  Are you
>> sure that IPSec packets will go through Netfilter twice (once encrypted,
>> and than once again unencrypted)?
>
>They do.   This makes it easy to filter the packet types you want to allow
>through the tunnel, rather than having a VPN which passes just everything.
>
>Regards,
>
>Antony.

Hi,

I am having problems in setting up the following (setup is similar to what is described at http://koeppe-net.de/l2tp-howto.txt )

WinXP (VPN Client)

|(ipsec/l2tp)

Firewall (linux 2.6.6 iptables 1.2.9)

|(l2tp)

Win2K3 (VPN Server)

Basically, the client should connect to the firewall with ipsec/l2tp.  At the firewall, the incoming encrypted packets from the VPN clients should be unencrypted and sent to the VPN Server.  However, I am confused about which tables the packets go through both in their first and second rounds. My guess is that I should

For the encrypted pockets coming in from the VPN Client:
Mark the encrypted packets in mangle/prerouting
Accept the marked packets in the filter/input
DNAT (to VPN Server) the marked packets in nat/output
Accept the marked packets in filter/output

Any comments? Or better yet, can anyone give me a list of tables an ipsec packet goes through in the 2 rounds it makes in netfilter? What is meant by "IPSec packets will go through Netfilter twice (once encrypted, and than once again unencrypted)" ?  Does the same packet hit mangle/prerouting, for example, twice (first encrypted and then unencrypted)?  Also, how about the other way around (from VPN Server to VPN Client)?

Any comments / suggestions on the setup are also welcome.  I'd rather not use pptp if I can help it.

Thanks
Eray Aslan