help with setting up iptables for use with snort_inline (QUEUE target)

Hi all,

I have a question about setting up iptables so I can send selected traffic to
snort_inline using the QUEUE target.

I'm writing a soon to be released (GPL) frontend to iptables. I'm adapting it
now to support the QUEUE target for use with snort_inline. I want to give
users the possibility to for example send only http traffic to snort_inline
and let iptables handle the other traffic.

So normal my rules are like this (simplified):

iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

So a connection is accepted by the second rule and after that handled by the
first.

Well now the problem. When i want to send packets to the QUEUE target the
above setup does not work. Because i don't want all traffic to go to
snort_inline, i cant change the target of the established,related rule to
QUEUE.

I found a solution which works not entirely as i want. The following example
will send http to snort, pop3 will be handled by iptables itself.

iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT  -p tcp --dport 80 -j MARK --set-mark 0x1

iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -m mark --mark 0x1 -j
QUEUE
iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -m state --state NEW -j QUEUE
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 110 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

Well this works... but not for ftp. Iptables has as you know a special helper
module for ftp. I don't know how i can make ftp play well in this setup.
Because the ftp connection opens other ports i can't use the mark ftp
connections like this.

So... any ideas, suggestions?

BTW if in any way possible i want my application to work with an unpatched
Debian Woody kernel...

Regards,
Victor