Re: traceroute

On Thursday 01 July 2004 10:21 am, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Antony Stone wrote:
> > On Wednesday 30 June 2004 11:36 pm, Florian Boelstler wrote:
> > >
> > > By looking at other posts in this thread I've learned that traceroutes
> > > are done with echo-requests. Is this true for Linux 2.6.6 ?
> >
> > No, that's true for Windows systems.   Unix machines (Linux included)
> > use high-port numbered UDP packets.
> >
> > Therefore you need to allow UDP packets to leave your machine for you to
> > be able to run traceroute from it.
>
> Actually UDP based traceroute uses ports in the range 33434-33523.

That's one of things I like about this mailing list - I can find people who
are even more precise and pedantic than I am :)

Antony.

--
There are two possible outcomes:

 If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement.
 If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.

 - Enrico Fermi

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.