Re: traceroute

On Wednesday 30 June 2004 3:34 pm, Piszcz, Justin Michael wrote:

> [...]

You should allow ICMP packets through your system.

You should certainly allow ICMP through if you want traceroute to work, and
you should generally allow ICMP if you want many other things to work.   If
you want to block certain types of ICMP, that's fine (many people do), but
don't block all ICMP.

Traceroute works by sending either ICMP "ping" (echo request) packets, or UDP
packets to high port numbers (which are assumed not to be listening),
depending on the Operating System of the client doing the traceroute.   In
both cases the important response is an ICMP TTL exceeded packet, which
contains the IP address of the router where TTL became == 0.

Remember that firewalling can be a dangerous topic - if you block things you
don't understand, and therefore don't know that you should allow, some things
will break.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Anything that improbable is effectively impossible.

 - Murray Gell-Mann, Nobel Prizewinner in Physics

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.