Re: traceroute

I don't get anything (except the name lookup) from traceroute.

When I run a packet sniffer, I see the following (when doing a traceroute on
www.google.com)

source     destination                 Proto
me           216.239.41.99          UDP            sourceport 1059
destination port 33435
3com       3com                         ARP            who has <gatewayip>
tell <my ip>
3com        3com                        ARP            <gateway ip> is at
<mac address>
me           216.239.41.99           UDP          soutceport: 1059
Destination port 33437

traceroute to www.google.akadns.net (216.239.39.147), 30 hops max, 38 byte
packets
 1  * * *
 2  * * *

Below are the relavant rules .... tracert is the ip of the box I am trying
to traceroute form.
The Ip of that box is an internet routable ip addess.

$IPT -A FORWARD -p TCP -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
$IPT -A FORWARD -p UDP -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

$IPT -A FORWARD -s <tracert box> -o eth1 -j rh-net
$IPT -A FORWARD -d <tracert box -i eth1 -j net-rh

$IPT -A rh-net -s <tracert box> -j ACCEPT
$IPT -A net-rh -p UDP -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

Thank you again,
Peter.