Re: Is "no route to host" fake possible?

On Friday 25 June 2004 11:44 am, Cilliè Burger wrote:

> >Hello,
> >
> >I know the rules REJECT, DENY or DROP, but is it possible to return to
> >the client the error message "no route to host" ?
> >
> >I saw that it's possible to configure this on CISCO routers, and I would
> >lke to know it it's possible?

> yes, it is
>
> # man route
>
> reject      install a blocking route, which will force a  route
>               lookup  to  fail.  This is for example used to mask
>               out networks before using the default route.   This
>               is NOT for firewalling.
>
> route add -host 192.168.1.2 reject
>
> # ping 192.168.1.2
> connect: Network is unreachable
>
> for more info check the route man page

This is fine, so long as you want to return this message for *all* packets
addressed to the host.   Doing it with netfilter has the advantage that you
can specify selected sources for this reject to be returned to.

The target:
-j REJECT --reject-with icmp-net-unreachable

should result in the same response as shown above.

Regards,

Antony.

--
o? w--(---) O !M V+++(--) !PS !PE Y+ PGP+> t- !tv@ b+++ DI++ D--- e+++(*) h++