Re: ACK,RST getting dropped in the firewall.

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 12:09, Antony Stone wrote:

> In my experience (with things like SMTP, HTTP) it appears to be the server
> which generally issues the (first) FIN/ACK, telling the client that there's
> no more data

Weird, my experience with HTTP has been the other way around. The client
request typically requires just a single back. Its the data returned
from the server that can take multiple packets (thus the client finishes
first). This is why when most people run into this time-out issue its
always the server still trying to transmit _from_ TCP/80, rather than
the client trying to send _to_ TCP/80. A good example are the log
entries that started this thread.

> I wonder how other stateful firewalls (eg: CP FW-1?) handle this sort of thing
> - do they listen for *both* FIN/ACKs (and thereby leave themselves prey to
> half-open connections littering their connection table for systems which
> don't bother to send the responding FIN/ACK)?

With FW-1 and PIX, they use a higher state table time out. Again, proper
way to fix this would be to reset the timer if the session stays active.
Fixes both your worries and mine. :)

As for OS's that don't return a FIN/ACK, I can't say I've seen this in
the wild (which is why I asked which OS so I could test this). I know
there used to be a few OS's (older Mac OS and SGI come to mind) that
used to "cheat" by sending a RST/ACK instead of a FIN/ACK, but that was
cleaned up years ago.

HTH,
Chris