Re: Bridge/VPN question.

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 10:30 am, Dharmendra T. wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 14:38, Antony Stone wrote:
>
> > 1. You have a default DROP policy on FORWARD (good idea), and a rule
> > allowing packets to TCP port 25 on a specific server, but no rule
> > allowing replies back again.   Therefore no traffic gets *through* the
> > machine.
> >
> > 2. You have a default DROP policy on INPUT, and no rules in the INPUT
> > chain allowing anything at all, therefore no packets can get in (which
> > makes the rule in the OUTPUT chain allowing some packets out somewhat
> > pointless).
>
> Yes I agree. But these rules were given assuming that the user has given
> Required rulsets (Assuming means that the user can connect to the
> approved mail server. Please check the last mail to which I replied).

You said "Are there any other rules you have defined? If no, this may work:"

To me, that means that if the user does not have any other rules, then he
should try these (the ones you posted).

I just wanted to avoid the original poster trying out a ruleset which could
not possibly work (and if they were connected to the machine by SSH, would
cut them off permanently, too).

Regards,

Antony.

--
You can spend the whole of your life trying to be popular,
but at the end of the day the size of the crowd at your funeral

 - Frank Skinner

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.