Re: Relay to DNS Server ?

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 2:53 pm, Patrick Leslie Polzer wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:31:37 +0200
>
> Akao <technique@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Is it possible to use netfilter rules to "relay" clients DNS requests ?
>
> Masquerading does that, but you must allow packets to port 53 tcp/udp to
> pass through to your ISP's DNS servers and their related packets back.

This is a completely correct and accurate answer to your question, however I
think you would get much better performance for very little effort if you set
up a simple caching-only name server somewhere on your network (possibly even
on the firewall itself, but don't tell anyone I suggested that :)

Regards,

Antony.

--
"640 kilobytes (of RAM) should be enough for anybody."

 - Bill Gates

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.