Re: allow range syntax - perplexed

> Hmmm . . . that is very confusing.  It should work which makes me think
> something else is going on.  I would suggest it is time to do a little
> tracing to find out where the problem really is.
>
> I would suggest that the first order of business be ensure that the
> packets are making it to the MySQL server.  One could enable all traffic
> and see if you are still denied (if so, a good sign that the packets
> never make it there in the first place) or, if that is impractical or
> you really want to be sure, put a protocol analyzer on the line (e.g.,
> http://www.ethereal.com).  If the server is on a switch, you can either
> insert a hub, use port mirroring or use ettercap
> (http://ettercap.sourceforge.net) to insert yourself into the packet
> stream.  If you do not see the packets arriving, we know the problem is
> somewhere else in the network.
>
> If the packets arrive at the MySQL server, then I would start placing
> log rules at various points in the iptables rules set to see where the
> packets are dropped.  If they are not dropped before the ACCEPT rule,
> then see if they are still in the chain after the ACCEPT rule (in which
> case something is wrong with the match portion of the rule).  If not,
> they have been ACCEPTED and are either being DROPped or mangled in
> another POSTROUTING chain or, more likely, there is an application layer
> problem.
>
> Regarding interface versus subnet, it depends on which you fear most!
> The interface allows you to add new subnets and they will all be allowed
> based upon port regardless of IP.  If that kind of free access scares
> you, then restrict it to specific addresses and subnets (which seems
> like it is what you want to do anyway).  The downside there is that you
> must change the rules for any subnets or addresses you later add.  If
> that kind of maintenance scares you, go back to allowing everything from
> the allowed ports on the interface.

Packets are making it to the server just fine for ip addresses not on the
same network.  For example, I am 3 hours away and can access the machine
via port 80, 3306, and 22.  When I create the rules for ips on the same
network, they can't even access port 80 for phpMyAdmin.  But once I remove
the ip check and allow access for the whole world, they are fine.