RE: Strange behavior

Thanks for responding

I did an iptables -L -nvx and placed the html file on
http://www.totherescue.org/iptables.html

As for some answers:

>So, all your DROP rules are at the start of the table (in reverse order of
>entering them, but that's probably immaterial).

>From what I read, I figured by using -I you would be pushing the DROP rules
up. This was done to filter a many spammer IPs out of my mail server. I
figured if I add the ACCEPT rules (per protocol) at the end, all the
unwanted would be filtered out.

>I assume these rules had the ACCEPT target?

Yes correct. That was the plan. To ACCEPT based on protocol at the end of
the rules.

>Without knowing your ruleset this means little, because 100 could be
>anywhere,
>and the order of rules is important (especially when mixing DROP and ACCEPT

>rules).

If you take a look at the link above, you will see that the only difference
between the ACCEPT rule at the beginning and the one at # 100 is the order.
That is what is strange.

>Do you mean you did "-I 1" instead of "-I 100"?

Yes, but I left both in the first, and 100th

>If so, then that means that (at least) one of your DROP rules is matching
>the
>packets you want to ACCEPT on port 80.

Only the one in the # 1 slot...but why?

>I suggest you use "iptables -L INPUT -nvx" and look for the rules with the
>non-zero packet & byte counts.   That will tell you which rules are
>matching
>the packets which are arriving, and you should be able to identify which
>one
>is blocking the packets you want to accept.

I understand that one rule is blocking it, but why the first and not the
100th? The request is not coming on any of the IPS in the file

>By the way, why so many DROP rules at the start of your ruleset?   Most
>people
>are happy with more like 20 ACCEPT rules and a default DROP policy...

The logic is to filter out as many spammers as possible before you get to
the ACCEPT rule for smtp

Regards,
Thanks