Re: off topic - hope somebody can help

On Friday 11 June 2004 2:27 am, Alexis wrote:

> Does anybody knows why ethernet interfaces stay's up even when i unplug the
> ethernet cable?

Why shouldn't it?   The interface is still fully functioning even if you
choose to disconnect it - I think plenty of people would get upset if the
interface went down on its own just because the cable got unplugged (or the
hub had a short power failure)...

> I have 2 isp connected to a box, with a default route pointing both of them
> one using a higer weight to use it as backup conection (using iproute2).
> Ok, if i unplug the ethernet cable of eth of isp1 , the ethernet card stays
> up and nobody can make any connection. But, if i "really" force the
> interface shutdown of provider1 (doing ifdown eth1) the traffic goes
> instantly trough provider2.
>
> Any idea how can i tear down an interface when i unplug the ethernet cable?

Personally I would prefer to do something like a ping test to each ISPs
gateway router - then you can switch routes if any part of the connection
between your box and the link to the Internet goes down, not just one
specific piece of CAT5 cable.

Regards,

Antony.

--