Re: Is this firewall good enough?

--- Rob Sterenborg <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 7.  /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 53
> --syn
> > -j ACCEPT #DNS
>
> DNS uses udp for normal lookups. Only in special
> cases tcp is used.

I noted --syn can only be used with protocol tcp. How
do I write a similar rule to accept connections to udp
port 53?

> You could check for tcp_flags. Certain combinations
> can be logged and/or
> dropped.
> Packets with state INVALID could normally be safely
> dropped.

I don't see a good explanation of tcp-flags either on
iptables man pages or Packet Filtering HOWTO. What are
meaning of SYN,ACK,FIN,RST,URG,PSH? What combinations
can be logged/dropped?

Appreciate your comment on this issue.

Sagara