Re: FIB LPM algorithm

> On Monday 07 June 2004 12:23 pm, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I was wondering if someone could point me to a discussion of what LPM
> > algorithm the Linux routing FIB uses?
>
> Er, what do LPM and FIB mean please?  I think I know netfilter quite
> well, and I've not come across these abbreviations so far...
Longest Prefix Match and Forwarding Information Base.

To answer your question: Linux has routing cache which stores complete
5-tuples. If it is not found in cache, it is looked up in the FIB which is
stored as 33 hashes (based on netmask size). Hashes are looked up from the
/32 back to /0.

Yes, it is extremely inefficient ;)

-alex