Re: Firehol DROPping INVALID

On Saturday 05 June 2004 9:17 pm, Mark Hindley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have asked this on the Firehol lists, but got no response. Hope you
> can help.

I know nothing about (have never heard of) firehol, however here's my
observation on the rule you've quoted.

> iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
>
> Although the comment says this is recommended in the Netfilter HOWTO, I
> cannot find it.

It seems like a rather strange rule to have, to me.   Why would you expect
your own machine to be generating invalid packets (and therefore go to the
bother of writing a firewall rule to drop them)?

I'd be interested to know the response you get from the author of firehol if
you ask for the source of the recommendation.

I can understand why you might want to drop *incoming* invalid packets, but
outgoing ones would seem to me to be (a) someone else's problem - they can
decide whether to accept them or not - and (b) an indication of some more
fundamental problem with whatever application is generating such packets,
which should be fixed, rather than using netfilter to ignore the problem and
pretend the packets never happened.

Therefore my recommendation would be to eliminate the above rule altogether.

Most people secure their firewall against inbound problems (INPUT for the
firewall itself, FORWARD for machines it is routing to) - outbound problems
should not exist.

Maybe you want to post the rest of your ruleset so we can comment on how
sensible that seems for you?

Regards,

Antony.

--
"The problem with television is that the people must sit and keep their eyes
glued on a screen; the average American family hasn't time for it."

 - New York Times, following a demonstration at the 1939 World's Fair.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.