Re: Is this conntrack behaviour correct? Aka. Stealing services...

  Hi,

2004-06-04, p keltezéssel 13:15-kor Markus Schaefer ezt írta:
> Short questions for the impatient:
>   - Why is netfilter using a port for NATing,
>     even though the very same port is reserved
>     by the router device though a listening socket,
>     (but "free" from view of conntrack table.)

  Because it wouldn't be a trivial task to assign every new connection
to an opened socket. Netfilter conntrack and NAT works strictly _below_
the IP layer, where these kind of lookups are not yet done.

>   - I need a way to reserve a certain touple in
>     the conntrack table. Or
>   - prevent a fixed touple from being used.
>     (I know, it sounds strange but i need it :)

  Although I don't know of an existing iptables-level solution, I've
implemented the nat-reservations patch (it's in POM-NG) exactly because
of the same problems. However, this is only a low-level (in-kernel, only
for Netfilter extensions) interface for reserving tuples, you cannot use
that directly from iptables. And yes, I agree, sometimes it would be
useful to define such reserved tuples in your ruleset.

--
 Regards,
   Krisztian KOVACS