RE: mangle, filter & FORWARD

<<snip>>

> > Nope (thankfully)
> I know now that there are two FORWARD chains,
> mangle.FORWARD and filter.FORWARD.  They have the same
> name and are the same chain structure, they will
> contain completely different rules.

It's quite confusing for people used to working with ipchains:)
The terminology changed a bit:

Chains are now called tables and you have 3 root-tables: mangle, nat and
filter. To select them you would use the '-t' option of iptables,
defaulting to 'filter'.

Then you have 5 'hooks': the places in the network subsystem where these
tables can be used:
PRE-ROUTING, INPUT, FORWARD, OUTPUT, POST-ROUTING

Differents hooks accept different tables:
the mangle table at all-5 hooks.
the nat table at OUTPUT, PRE- and POST-ROUTING.
and filter table at INPUT, FORWARD and OUTPUT.

> >Not all tables
> > are run on each chain. Eg. FORWARD table only has
> > mangle/filter.
>
> Ok, you must mean "not all the chains are used in each
> table", right?  "The FORWARD chains only appear in the
> mangle and filter tables", yes?

Therefore it was the correct terminology: not all tables are tun on each
chain (hook).
In ipchains it was the other way around.

> > For a really good refreence on iptables in general,
> > check out
> > http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/

Did you check the http://lartc.org/howto/ ?
It very clear and handson.