Blocking Streaming Media (Was: Re: (no subject)..)

On Monday 31 May 2004 18:18, Ivan wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking for a solution to block streaming media using iptables.
> I have found that some of my users are listening to radio stations using
> internet, which has pumped up the
> internet bill significantly, and of course put a choke on my internet
> links. Does anyone know of a solution for blocking just the streaming media
> traffic from any web site, while still allowing
> the access to the website it self?
> Thanks,
> Ivan

Hiye Ivan,
The problem you faced was users connecting to Internet Radio Stations using
web port (port 80) isnt it ? I give u an example like LaunchCast from Yahoo
or other stations using port 80 as their service port.

This is become a serious problem when bandwidth allocated not so wide. The
only thing in my mind, try to apply the magic of patch-o-matic STRING.
Examine correctly what packets arrived or what kind of streaming packets sent
by server. Block using those STRING.

Regards,
Rio Martin.