Re: iptables and samba

On Thursday 27 May 2004 4:40 pm, azeem ahmad wrote:

> >hi
> >
> >i have two shares on samba server "Soft and linux" in these shares there
> >are many folders. whenever i run the above script and then i open the
> > share it takes atleast 4  minutes to open the share. but it doesnt take
> > time while browsing inside share.
> >mean there is a folder on soft share like soft/adobe/acrobat/acrobat6
> >when i double click on soft it takes atleast 4 minutes but after that when
> >i click on adobe then acrobat then acrobat6 it takes now time it just
> > brose them normally. same problem is with the other share named linux.
> >but if i dont run this script then all shares work fine with no delay
> >
> >i m using the script below
> >
> > iptables -F
> >iptables -t nat -F
> >iptables -P INPUT DROP
> >iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> >iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 8080 -j ACCEPT
> >iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 22   -j ACCEPT
> >iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 53   -j ACCEPT
> >iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p udp --dport 53   -j ACCEPT
> >iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p udp --dport 137  -j ACCEPT
> >iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p udp --dport 138  -j ACCEPT
> >iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 139  -j ACCEPT

I think you should check the above three services - I'm not sure you have TCP
& UDP correctly associated with the port numbers (I thought the two odd ones
were one protocol, and 138 was the other protocol, but which way round I
don't recall).

Also, add a LOG rule at the end of the ruleset so you can see any other
packets which are trying to get in, but are getting DROPped by the default
policy - if, as you say, the problem doesn't occur when you don't run the
ruleset, there must be something being DROPped which would solve the problem
if you ACCEPTed it.

> >i dont know what is the udp port 80 for but i just saw its traffic on my
> >network in iptraf so i included it in my script

That doesn't like a secure reason to allow it to me - and I have no idea what
could be using UDP port 80 - I think you should investigate further rather
than just assume it's desirable.

Regards,

Antony.

--
In science, one tries to tell people
in such a way as to be understood by everyone

In poetry, it is the exact opposite.

 - Paul Dirac

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.