need for stateful packet inspection

I am ignorant re iptables.

I am considering buying a linksys router. It seems to have statefull packet inspection that blocks nonmatching incoming packets.

If I do not have a server exposed to the internet, do I need any
packet inspection other than checking that all incoming packets match an earlier outgoing request?

TIA
rfjones