FTP over NAT problem

Hey all,

I've been fighting with this problem for over a week, and I've made no headway.  I have a server with a bank of serial ports, all attached to modems.  We use scripts to raise and drop lines to various customer sites that we support.  In the past, we've had great success using iptables to handle forwarding and NAT of LAN traffic going out over the wire to the customer's servers.  My latest server, however, doesn't handle FTP, PCAnywhere or RDP at all, using the same iptables commands as the older servers.  It has a slightly newer (v1.2.6a vs. 1.2.5) version of iptables, but otherwise isn't much different.

Telnet and ICMP work fine, but PCA and RDP never connect.  You can connect to a server using FTP, and browse in Active or Passive mode without any problems.  As soon as you try to transfer a file, however, the transfer hangs immediately, regardless of whether you use Active or Passive.  I've pared my iptables script down to the bare minimum that gets me to this state after a full reboot, and here it is:

modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp
modprobe ip_nat_ftp
iptables -P FORWARD DROP
iptables -F FORWARD
iptables -t nat -P POSTROUTING ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -F POSTROUTING
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp+ -j MASQUERADE
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o ppp+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i ppp+ -o eth0 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
Distro is Debian 3.0r2, kernel is 2.4.26.  All non-experimental netfilter kernel options are compiled as modules; except for ip_conntrack_ftp and ip_nat_ftp, I just let the others autoload as I issue the iptables statements above.  Can anyone shed any light on why this is happening??  The same iptables ruleset works fine on my other servers, and I'm stumped!

     Derek V.