RE: tcp-MSS target extensions Patch

Hello all, I thought I would post the resolution to my particular problem with this: Windows...doh!

I am attempting to modify a SmoothWall Express 2.0 firewall such that it can function as a pptp gateway for clients behind it. The SmoothWall does not have any of the "make" tools or libraries, and rightly so. It also does not have a floppy, or support for mounting a CDROM after it is installed. Thus I have to transfer files to it from another machine...via scp. This is where I hurt myself, lol.

As you all know, the *nix file systems are very concrete, and precise in their file naming conventions with regard to CaSe, among other things... Windows, on the other hand, is not. I am guessing this decision was made to make the Windows file system more "friendly" at the expense of accuracy?... Sounds like Shiner Bock logic to me, but that is another tirade for another time...

It so happens that the "go between" between my Fedora workstation where I compile everything and the SmoothWall is a windows machine on the Smoothie's internal network. I use the outstanding WinSCP utility to transfer files from the windows machine to the Smoothie. This is where the trouble begins, and ends.

It seems that according to Windows: ipt_TCPMSS.so and ipt_tcpmss.o are the same file... thus, I was never getting both proper files onto the SmoothWall machine... Windows would simply overwrite the first file with the second one to hit the directory. I even tried mapping a Samba share to transfer the files from.. still a no-go...

Ultimately I tar zipped the modules and transferred the tar archive to the Smoothie, and untar'd it there.

Problem solved...

I feel like a moron... It certainly isn't the first time, and it certainly won't be the last...

It was the post by Alistair that put me on the right track... thanks again for your patience and helpful replies!

Onward through the fog!