Re: Could be a stupid question...

On Mon, 17 May 2004 22:26, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Monday 17 May 2004 11:09 am, Gavin Hamill wrote:
> > On Monday 17 May 2004 10:55, Dennis Morgan wrote:
> > > ie SEARCH / and a load of escape characters trying to get unauthorised
> > > access. I would like to know if there is a way with netfilter to drop
> > > these packets?
> >
> > At a pinch, you could try the 'string match' module, but it's generally
> > not recommended.
>
> I *really* don't think it would work in this case, because the strings will
> be at unpredictable points into the communications stream (less chance of
> it being near the start of a packet, and therefore completely contained
> within one packet), and to do this job effectively you'd need to match on
> regular expressions, which the string match doesn't.
>
> > More usefully, you should look at http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net/ -
> > writing a little regex for this package to drop the WebDAV SEARCH
> > requests should be trivial.
>
> Good suggestion - less overhead than a full proxy server as I suggested,
> and ideal for the job.
>
> Regards,
>
> Antony.

Hi
Thanks Antony for the suggestion about using SQUID in a reverse proxy
configuration..    Your suggestion actually come at a pretty good time,
bcos it solves another problem.. Thanks...

Also Gavin, that package, i am going to test it later on, when i am back in
the office in the test lab to see if i can get it to work...  It will just
mean i will have to upgrade the linux router to 2.6 so i can use it..

regards,.
Dennis