From: Gavin Hamill <gdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: smtp
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:37:08 +0100

On Friday 14 May 2004 12:17, azeem ahmad wrote:
> hi all
> i m havingg a continous upload on port 25 but i m unable to know which ip
> from my network is uploading on port 25. i saw on iptraf that some one is
> continously uploading on 25. the hardware addresss that iptraf is showing
> isnt really on my LAN but the traffic is coming from my LAN
> how can i find out the real hardware address or ip of the machine uploading

iptraf is a useful tool for some purposes, but here tcpdump would be more
appropriate. Install it, and try

tcpdump -n port 25

You may need to specify the eth device with "-i eth0" etc.

It should be obvious very quickly which address on your LAN is generating the
traffic (the machine will almost certainly be a Windows box with a virus).
From then, you can issue

$ iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -i ethX -s X.X.X.X --dport 25 -j DROP

And this will immediately stop all traffic from IP address X.X.X.X coming *IN*
to ethX on your firewall.

From there, remove the virus and then undo the above line. (replace -A with
-D)

Cheers,