Re: Preferred way of preserving firewall rules on system reboots?

Cedric Blancher wrote:
Le jeu 13/05/2004 à 16:48, Aleksandar Milivojevic a écrit :

What is your preferred way of preserving firewall configuration on firewall reboots? I know this is probably distribution specific.

Every time I need to save the ruleset :

iptables-save > /etc/firewall

Then, in a startup script (/etc/init.d/networking on my Debian), I add :

iptables-restore < /etc/firewall

This is something what Red Hat's init.d script is doing (if called with "save"). However, using this approach, there's no space left for any comments. It is questionable I would still remember why I have some "special" set of rules one year from now, if there was no comments in the file. And it makes very hard for somebody else to change anything I created (something obvious to me might not be obvious to somebody else, hack it might not be obvious to me couple of months down the road). I find having comments in configuration files very important.

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited