Re: DROP or REJECT

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 09:45, Peter Marshall wrote:
> Which is better (to drop or reject packets)?  I am asking more
> specifically for connections from the internet to my external
> firewall.

Depends. I like rejecting with host-unreachables as it makes it look
like you do not have a firewall. It also has the ability to shut down
certain scanning tools before they can find exposed ports.

Some worry this could be a potential DoS situation. If you are worried
about this you can combine it with rate limiting.

> My second question is if I have a DNS in my DMZ (contains only ip's in
> my dmz.  internal boxes use this as their DNS.  This DNS falls back to
> my ISP), do I have to allow both TCP and UDP connections on port 53 ?
> Can I not just have UDP, or does it use both ?

Again, it depends. Queries use UDP/53 _unless_ the answer exceeds a 512
byte packet size. If it does, the connection can switch over to TCP/53.

So, outbound you need TCP and UDP. Inbound to your DNS server, it
depends if you answers will exceed this maximum. If not, you only need
to permit UDP/53 from the Internet in general, and TCP/53 only from
servers (if any) that are acting as secondaries.

HTH,
Chris