Re: Bandwidth Monitor

Harry wrote:

Hi All,
I have a DSL connection which has a bandwidth capacity of 3GB a month...having said that I have 16 machines hooked up on the network with a linux server, is there a away to capture/monitor the total consumption of bandwidth utilised per machine or server basis.This is complicated as I have squid also for caching.....did a lot of reserch there were some scripts for iptables but I cant figure out how to use it ?Has anyone used something like this B4?Help is really appreciated.
Regards
Harry
"In all this world, there is only you
When all else ceases, there is only you" -- to my MASTER!
Harish
harish@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:harish@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
harish.sabnani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:harish.sabnani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi

there r couple things u can do:
1. every rule in iptables counts bytes of data which went through it. u can look at the counters by using command:
iptables -L -v
or maybe more specific for FORWARD chain: iptables -L FORWARD -v

u can place a specific counter for one host:
/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -j ACCEPT -i eth0 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -d 192.168.0.19 --set-counters 0 0

2. use specialized netfilter addons (patch-o-matic) for counting and possibly doing what ever u want with leechers. the ones u can use are from BASE repository: QUOTA and from EXTRA repository connbytes. the web site is of course www.iptabless.org

GL & HF :)