pptp - bad csum

Hello all, I'm hoping someone can help us here; I've been wrestling with the pptp nat patch all day and have a hit wall.
I'm running a straight RH9 install with Shorewall and have patched the latest vanilla kernel 2.2.26 with latest patch-o-matic-ng from CVS. I got iptables straight out of CVS as well, so as to try to ensure compatibility across the board. It's version 1.2.10.
Patch went fine, kernel compiled and installed fine, and after a reboot I made iptables again and it installed ok.
I started Shorewall up and all the rules work great and the 4 pptp/gre modules are loaded. The vpn is busted now though; while before it worked with one connection now it's hosed.
When I attempt to connect to the pptp server the client hangs on username verification and all I see in my logs is the following:

May  6 17:42:34 localhost kernel: ip_conntrack_pptp.c: bad csum

Of course I googlied this right away, and found some folks who'd had similar experiences but no luck resolving it. My best guess is incompatibility with kernel/patch/iptables versions. Can anyone suggest perhaps an older combination of tarballs that worked for them?

thanks, and regards
Trevor Marshall