Re: Download/upload speeds sluggish behind iptables firewall

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 01:12:48PM -0700, Joe Riley wrote:
> Dear mailing list,
>
> I am having a problem with iptables. I have a very simple setup,
> 192.168.0.1 is the interface to the internet - receives speeds upward
> to 150kb/sec - and 192.168.0.2 is my windows xp computer, which is
> getting very crippled speeds of about 10-50kb/sec

My first suggestion is to go back to first principles - you may simply
have an issue with the crossover connection to your XP box - it may not
have set the duplex settings correctly.. So, remove your Internet
connection, and then completely clear the firewall with

$ iptables -F
$ iptables -t nat -F

Now perform some simple tests by FTP'ing files in both directions
between your Linux box and XP box. If you get slow speeds doing this,
then netfilter/iptables is not the cause of your grief.

Use 'mii-tool'or 'ethtool' to set/reset/re-negotiate/force the
speed and duplex parameters for the Linux box :)

Good luck!
Cheers,
Gavin.