Re: NAT - HELP

On May 6, 2004 08:34 am, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 08:44, Slava (hotbox) wrote:
> > NETFILTER --> NAT --> HOWTO
> >

> > I very badly speak English!
> >

> > We use VPN-connections (PPTP) through firewall. It uses two connections:
> > 1723/tcp and 47/ip(GRE).
> >
> > When I  give a range of IP addresses to SNAT, two PPTP connections
> > (1723/tcp & GRE) leave from Firewall (SNAT) with different IP-addresses.
> > And VPN-connection does not work!
> >

> > Help, if can, please.
> >
> > Viacheslav.
>
> I do not use PPTP so I am having trouble understanding your problem.  Is
> the problem that you do not want 1723.tcp and 47/ip to SNAT at all or
> that they are doing SNAT to the wrong address?
>
> If you do not want the PPTP connection to SNAT at all, place an ACCEPT
> rule in front of the SNAT rule, e.g.,
>
> iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING 1 -o eth0 -s x.x.x.x -p 6 --sport 1723 -j
> ACCEPT
> iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING 1 -o eth0 -s x.x.x.x -p 47 -j ACCEPT
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j SNAT --to-source y.y.y.y
>
> If it is NATting the wrong public address, make sure the PPTP rules are
> processed first. Hope this helps - John

	I think the problem here is that he is using SNAT against a RANGE of
addresses..  By nature the first packet gets SNATted against address b of
[a-t] and the second packet gets SNATted against c of [a-t] --

	He has a range of outside addresses he may use to SNAT against, and is trying
to loadbalance the requests (at a guess) and this is confusing the VPN as the
request on 1723 shows up on one IP and the actual VPN request (proto 47)
comes up on a different address.

	Best solution would be to choose only *one* ip to SNAT vpn requests against,
*or* if you actually can plot a one-to-one relationship of NATs (outside ip a
-> inside ip q) to add  a *source* to the SNAT rules and setup one to one
rules for the VPN tunnel ... tedious but doable.

	Unless someone else can suggest a method of locking the NAT requests to the
	same IP?

	Alistair.