Re: chains in the same table

On Thursday 06 May 2004 10:48 am, Jee J.Z. wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm asking a basic question that in the same table (for example, the filter
> table), if a packet hit the INPUT chain while no rules are in the INPUT
> chain and the default policy is ACCEPT, will the packet be passed on to the
> FORWARD chain? If accepted again, be passed on to the OUTPUT chain?

Any single packet only traverses one of the above chains.

If it's addressed *to* the machine, it goes through INPUT only.

If it's addressed *from* the machine, it goes through OUTPUT only.

If it's going *from* somewhere else *to* somewhere else (ie: being routed), it
goes through FORWARD only.

(I guess there's an exception that loopback packets will go through both
OUTPUT and INPUT, but that's unusual.)

Regards,

Antony.

--
Ramdisk is not an installation procedure.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.