Re: pop3 and dns

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 10:40 am, Fritz Mesedilla wrote:

> Greetings!
> I have been looking for the answer to this through google...
>
> How do I allow POP3 through my iptables rules?
>
> I have done this...
> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
>
> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 110 -j ACCEPT

These look fine as they are, however you will need a rule to allow the reply
packets, and perhaps one to SNAT your Internet-bound packets if you are using
private addresses on your network.

> The problems:
> 1) They still can't resolve domain names.
> 2) POP3 can't seem to pass through going outside from the internal clients.

Questions:
1. Can clients access anything by IP address rather than hostname?
2. Do any other services work, such as web browsing (assuming you have rules
to allow other servies)?

Suggestions:
1. Describe your network setup to us.
2. Show us all your netfilter rules.

Regards,

Antony.

--
90% of networking problems are routing problems.
9 of the remaining 10% are routing problems in the other direction.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.